Previous post about design systems talked about wanting to maintain consistency
- One way is through a style system if UI tech isn’t the same
- At SFIX we’ve got Rails & React
Style system is SASS mixins (clever!)
- Downside of style systems (like Bootstrap & Foundation) is that the HTML (and JS is left to dev)
- Additional downside w/ mixins is that they work best w/ single element
Example: text field
- the input, a label and a (error) message
- we had to put the label after for the mixin to work
How do you handle states?
- Hover and focus states are easy because of pseudo classes
- What about an error state?
- Would be easy in React, just add a class when that state happens
- But what about mixins?
- Use ARIA attribute for the styling, which enforces devs to have proper accessibility to get visual effects
Keep learning my friends. 🤓